The End of a Rainbow, A Pot of Gold
Profile

i'm a little teapot short and stout.

Tag


Links

Layout: vehemency
Icon: reruntherace

Cass
Charlotte
HuiJun
XinLin

Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 10:44 PM
Skiving increases productivity

Things are getting routine, and routine makes me really bored although i get better. The end result is that the efficiency from rote work is more than compensated by the slow down due to lowered morale. I still do things quite quickly, just not furiously. I can still meet my daily KPI, but only just barely.

Yesterday, i was once again chased out during Board time. Boss happened to be there that day. She told me to relax.

"Huh??" 0.o
"Go relax la. Take a walk. You can go pilot's lounge or pantry and eat biscuit."

It was such an odd concept i lost my bearings for a moment; i stood there and stared into space. Then, like a computer rebooting, i started by clearing some minor work stuff that i had wanted to do previously but did not because i didn't want to disrupt the momentum. After those were done, i hesitated, then sat at the "holiday chair" (so they call it). I commented to Boss that i should've brought my storybook, at which she threw me a copy of National Geographic. That was how i skived for the first time. Someone came over and said,"Reading..?" I smiled at her, "I'm given permission to skive." Gradually, i got into the zone and began reading intently.

After Board ended, i returned to my desk and began working systematically again. I found that i actually had the mood to work faster; i was less tired and more enthusiastic.

Thus, i conclude that skiving for a while every now and then increases productivity, and i should aim to make that happen on a more regular basis.