The End of a Rainbow, A Pot of Gold
Profile

i'm a little teapot short and stout.

Tag


Links

Layout: vehemency
Icon: reruntherace

Cass
Charlotte
HuiJun
XinLin

Thursday, May 12, 2016, 1:09 PM
I Rest Today to Walk A Thousand Steps Tomorrow

It feels strange to stumble upon your own blog, something that used to be quite an important part of my life, abandoned for 4 years it seems. And now I'm home with time in my hand and a mind to wander, I thought perhaps I should start writing again. A few days back I was still searching for somewhere I could have an online diary, thinking this place lost or deleted already, so imagine my happiness when I found this again.

Reading my latest posts 4 years ago, I took my first step into medical school. A bright-eyed fresh student so eager to learn what I've been dreaming of for years. And perhaps med school happened, and time for blogging evaporated. So much has happened in these 4 years, so much I want to remember, but I find almost no records of anything in writing or typing. Pity.

Fast forward to 2016, a day I thought never would arrive, I graduated from med school. I am a doctor now :') I am so glad that I still hold the ideals I did all those years ago, untainted. Now that I see the hard truths of reality, I hold on to my ideals with more certainty. I can and will make a difference, however small. Although, my life took a different turn and I will only start work months after my friends.

Today is POD 13, and I am recovering well but my movements still need to be checked, every move calculated. Life exists in slow motion for me now. I am slightly embarrassed to be sitting here blogging, well-rested and well-fed while my friends slog away in the wards, denied of basic needs like food, water and sleep. I may not be learning new medical things like my friends, but I learn a different lesson. The other side of Medicine is something we were taught but scarcely can ever comprehend until we experience them first-hand ourselves, and that is what I do now everyday, living the life of a patient.