The End of a Rainbow, A Pot of Gold
Profile

i'm a little teapot short and stout.

Tag


Links

Layout: vehemency
Icon: reruntherace

Cass
Charlotte
HuiJun
XinLin

Sunday, July 03, 2016, 11:30 PM
Medical Dinner 2016

I went for the Medical Dinner today, held for the graduating batch of 2016 from Medicine, Pharmacy and Nursing. I had wanted to pull out of this dinner because fancy parties were not my cup of tea; dressing up and dolling up like a lady, I just couldn't. Besides, I wasn't sure if I would be fit enough by 3rd July. But my CG mates talked me into going and so I did and I'm glad for it. Some social events every now and then is nourishing for the soul.

Since I decided I was going to make it, I thought I should spend more time and effort into looking decent. I bought a new dress and heels (last min, ops), and had half a mind to get some makeup products. While asking my Cedar friends about which makeup products to buy, I casually mentioned that I didn't know how to makeup and would have to experiment around, embarrassing as it is. To my surprise, Mags and Lins offered to do my makeup for me! And the others quickly chimed in to say they didn't mind coming over to give moral support too. That was so nice of them :")

Early this morning, I went and got my hair cut and dyed too. But this wasn't solely for the dinner; I've been wanting to dye my hair for quite awhile, just haven't had the motivation and I was supposed to rest at home anyway. At the salon, I bumped into David's mum and Cherie's mum! The world is too small, because that hair salon is a very small shop in some ulu neighbourhood. Imagine the surprise. Also, the fact that Cherie's mum recognized me was shocking because no one ever recognizes my face.

My awesome makeup team arrived at about 5pm and got straight to business, no time to lose! I did the basic concealing and the foundation, then Mags started working her magic with contouring and lining my eyes. The eyes took really long, and it was quite funny because the others were egging her to make the "wing" more bold. I was hesitant initially because I was actually going for a simple, I-woke-up-like-that look, but I should trust the makeup pros. By the time we finished it was 650pm. (Plan was to leave house at 615pm lol) I hurried to tidy up my hair, wear my dress/accessories, get my clutch, and activate the parents.

I reached Raffles City at about 730pm. By then, everyone who was there were seated already. I met HL, YN and Ale outside the ballroom to walk in together. Right after we stepped in and were looking around for our tables, HL tapped me. "Is that your favourite doctor?" I was confused. "Where? And who's my favourite doctor?" I asked, looking around all the while and seeing no familiar faces. "There. Table 62. It is right?" She said, suddenly doubtful of herself. It took me quite a long while before I spotted table 62, and another while longer before I saw.....Dr Mark!! I almost died on the spot. He had seen me too by then, pointed out by a colleague who was probably confused why 2 strangers were staring at them. I went over to say hi, he asked me how my recovery was, and then I asked if I could take a photo with him later. Yay! I hurried to where my CG was, at table 31. Everyone was there already except Cherie and I.

The rest of the night passed quickly. I had wanted to catch up with each of them individually but it wasn't the ideal setting because we sat so far apart at the table and the music was really loud, so I just listened to their horror stories. I couldn't eat 6 out of the 9 courses because they had chicken/prawn. Halfway through the dinner service, people starting walking around to chat with friends and take photos. The CG went out and took photos too. I went and asked Dr Mark for a photo because I was afraid he would leave early. Then it was a flurry of photos with friends I haven't met in so long, having a quick catch-up. I didn't even realize that I missed 3 courses already.

Before the dinner was done, many people started leaving because there was work the next day. No longer 'the night is still young' anymore. I left too, because I am an oldie now and my back was starting to ache.