|
The End of a Rainbow, A Pot of Gold
| |
|
Profile
i'm a little teapot short and stout. Tag
Links
Layout: vehemency |
Saturday, July 16, 2016, 9:30 PM
Today we celebrated grandpa's 80th birthday! That's by the lunar calender, which means he's 79 years old this year.Gugu invited both our family and our cousins' family. Grandpa craves more attention as he gets older. This is the first time he actually asked gugu if anyone is going to celebrate his birthday this year. He usually doesn't bother at all, even though we do celebrate it every year. I think his fear of loneliness got worse after grandma passed away, so we all do make it a point to remind him that he is still loved. I decided to make him a cake after Peng asked me if i was going to. I wasn't going to do so initially because I had no inspiration; I didn't know what grandpa liked, except that maybe he isn't really a dessert person, and he has diabetes so anything too sinful (like a cake) isn't good for him. But every birthday must have a cake, and I'm sure my cake will be better for him (less unhealthy) than a store-bought one. After mulling over my options, I decided to go along the lines of a fresh fruit cake. Then, I don't know what spark it was but I suddenly remembered the famous watermelon cake from Black Star Pastry. It was trending on Instagram some time ago, and I've always wanted to try it. I spent the whole of yesterday baking and assembling this cake of many layers and was quite pleased with the final look. I was excited to present this to grandpa. We had quite a spread for the celebration. Grandpa looked so happy to see everyone there, and all the food. Ariel was there too! She's 15months now and able to walk around. She's quite shy so I didn't hear her speak but she was soooo cute!!!! Then came the time for cake-cutting and I was nervous. When I brought the cake in, everyone was like whoaaa it looks so nice!! "You made that?" "That looks really beautiful I can't wait to try it!" The higher the expectations the more stressed I got. Nothing worse than lifting someone up so high then letting them fall flat. Everyone loved it! Personally, I really loved it too. The flavour combination was interesting, the cake was light and refreshing, not too sweet as I had thought. Grandpa had a second helping too! Success! And I'm glad grandpa was happy. |